This is one of my mom’s recipes and it was inspired by the Senegalese Thiébou guinar. But this is not Thiébou guinar because it does not have 2 keys ingredients (guedj and yet). The jollof rice is enjoyed in Togo, Benin, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Ghana, and Nigeria… This recipe is perfect for the parties and will allow you to impress your guest easily. The condiments are blended and then fried in peanut oil. Then we wet with water depending on the amount of rice to cook and the desired appearance for rice. The rice is cooked in this sauce, which gives it a specific color according to the quantity and type of tomato used (concentrated and fresh) with the vegetables of your choice. In this recipe, I used broken rice but jasmine or basmati rice is just perfect for this recipe. The rice is then served with vegetables and chicken.
Jollof rice with Whole Fried Chicken
- 2 chicken 8 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons ginger, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cubes
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 1 big onions
- A red pepper
- 3 large glasses of rice
- 1/4 cup of oil optional
- 3 carrots
- 1 Cabbage
- A pinch of bicarbonate
- Green pepper
- Wash the rice and put in a colander
- Clean the chicken and marinate with the spices, cube and salted to taste. Cook for 1 hour (30 minutes on each side) - Add enough water to cover the chicken at all time.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove broth and set aside
- Add 3 tomatoes, crushed onion, tomato paste and a pinch of baking soda and salt to taste. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables, 4 cup water and bring to a boil. (Adjust the seasoning with cube and salt). Simmer pendant 15 min
- Using a perforated spoonful remove the vegetables
- Add chilli and rice and stir and cook over medium heat. As soon as there is more water evaporates cover with a plastic bag then the lid of the maronite. And reduce the fire.
- The grains of rice are peeled off each other when cooked
- Fry the chicken
- Serve hot in a large bowl with the vegetables and chicken; and crushed green pepper