My family loves my amazing Liver fried rice. -Not just because the love me- It is easy to make and taste like a million box. This particular recipe is inspired by the Nigerian fired rice and I also served it with some African style fried chicken. This Liver fried rice Recipe is so easy and packed with flavor and totally adaptable. Cooked Liver can be tender, almost creamy if cooked, or tough, dry when overcooked. The liver pairs awesomely with the rice, mix vegetable and African fried chicken.
Why did I choose liver?
- low in calories
- low in fat
- packed with nutrients, including riboflavin, copper, vitamins A and B12 and B6, thiamin, protein and iron
- really delicious if prepared correctly
What ingredients can you add to your fried rice?
- Vegetables: I personally use mix frozen veggie like carrots, onions, peas and fresh onion because it adds a sweetness to the fried rice. You can use your favorite vegetable like cauliflower, broccoli…
- Chopped fruit: pineapple, orange, pears, apples or guava… It’s a cool way to make your fried rice sweeter while staying healthy.
- Soy Sauce: It adds a beautiful color to the rice, however, I used cube bouillon instead. About 2 teaspoons of soy sauce should change the color to a beautiful brown.
- Eggs: Eggs are a very good source of inexpensive, high quality protein. The beaten egg should be carefully fried in a medium-hot oil and later folded in the rice. For this recipe, I skipped the eggs, but this is another recipe of Liver friend rice.
- Other proteins: You can easily switch things around and use whatever leftover you have in the fridge. Although for this recipe I used fried liver, you can use precooked chicken, pork, beef or shrimp. You can also swap the rice with quinoa.
- 2 cups rice (long-grain white rice like Jasmine is perfect for fried rice. The Jasmine rice should be cook with a reduced amount of water (or stock). The Jasmine rice should be firm and not soggy. You can use cold cooked, previously chilled, or leftover cooked rice. )
- 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables: bell pepper, spring onion, carrots, sweet corn, peas and green beans.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2 clove
- 2 allspice whole
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoon ginger
- 2 cube
- Salt to taste
- 10 pieces chicken
- 300 g Sliced beef liver
- Canola oil for frying
How to make Liver Fried Rice?
Blend 1/2 onion, cloves, allspice, garlic and ginger.
Rinse chicken, add 1/2 seasonings, cube and salt.
Cut the liver in cube, add 1/2 seasonings, cube and salt
Cover both and refrigerate overnight or at least for 4 hours.
Add about 1/2 liter to the chicken and boil for 30 min.
Add about 1/4 liter to the liver and boil for 15 min.
Fry the chicken for 7-10 minutes till center is all cooked (outside will be dark, golden brown)
Lay paper towel on a plate to drain excess oil, transfer fried chicken to plate
Prepare the rice by rinsing in cold water until the water drains clear.
Add 1.5 cups of water to the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Add the rice and cook on a medium heat until fluffy. Once the rice is cooked, fluff with a fork and lift the lid to cool down the rice. – spread it on a baking sheet and refrigerated for about an hour until it completely cooled (you can also freeze it for 15 to 20 mins).
Heat a large wok with 2 tablespoon of oil. Fry the chopped liver first until slightly brown then add the remaining onions.
After ~5 mins, add the rest of the vegetables and continue to fry the mix until it’s slightly brown but not burnt.
Create a hole in the wok by pushing aside the mix so you can add the cooked rice . Turn up the heat and mix together to create that perfect fried rice dish.
Serve with the chicken
Tips to make the best Liver fried rice.
- To get the best “fried’ rice use clod rice because a fresh batch of rice tend to get soggy and stick to the bottom of the pan. For this recipe, I freshly made the rice, spread it on a baking sheet and refrigerated for about an hour until it completely cooled (you can also freeze it for 15 to 20 mins).
- Always add vegetables to your fried rice. Fresh vegetable taste better but I use the frozen mix vegetable – it does the job. The vegetables add a beautiful color and a sweet taste to the fried rice.
- The number 1 secret to a fried rice is high heat. The heat makes the rice and the vegetable crisp.