Ayimolou || Rice and beans
- 2 cup Black eyed Beans
- 4 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon Potash or Akaun (Optional)
- 1/2 onion
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- 5 Tomato (purée)
- 1 can Tomato (8oz)
- 3 tablespoons ginger
- 3 tablespoons garlic
- 10 red chilies (optional)
- 3 large Red Onions
- 3 cup oil
- 1 cube
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 cup Doevi or smoked shrimp blended
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove unwanted particles and wash beans and soak beans overnight to reduce the cooking time.
- Boil beans in a large saucepan with enough water and the Potash.
- Wash rice, drain water and add it to the cooked bean with the onion and oil. (follow the instruction for the manufacturer for the Yasmine rice)
- Add salt and stir, leave to cook whiles frequently checking to ensure desired texture.
- Add the blended onion to a saucepan, and cook for 10 min until the water evaporates.
- Add the oil and fry for 10 mins and add the tomato paste.
- Cook for 5 min and add the blended tomato, ginger and garlic. Reduce the heat to a low setting and cook for 25 minutes, by which time the sauce has reduced by half.
- Add the baking soda, doevi, cube and the red chili pepper.
- Cook for another 15 min